*Last updated on 09/01/2021 and will update on a continuous basis when information becomes available*
Mental Health Resources
- Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective
- Inclusive Therapists
- LGBTQ Psychotherapists of Color Directory
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network
- Psychology Today Directory of African American Therapists
- Therapy for Black Girls
- Therapy for Black Men
Aims to educate and empower Asian communities seeking mental healthcare.
BIPOC/AAPI Mental Health Resources: https://www.naminh.org/resources-2/bipoc/
Promotes the integration of behavioral health and primary care treatment, while respecting the balance, wellness, and resilience of AI/AN people.
Group aimed at removing the barriers that Black people experience getting access to or staying connected with emotional health care and healing. They do this through education, training, advocacy and the creative arts.
Guided meditation directed toward healing racial trauma.
Limited and selective free mental health service opportunities for Black men.
Black Mental Health Alliance — (410) 338–2642
Provides information and resources and a “Find a Therapist” locator to connect with a culturally competent mental health professional.
Provides access to evidence-based information and resources about mental health and behavioral health topics from a Black perspective, as well as training opportunities for students and professionals.
Organization advancing health equity and social justice for Black women through policy, advocacy, education, research and leadership development.
BLHF has launched the COVID-19 Free Virtual Therapy Support Campaign to raise money for mental health services provided by licensed clinicians in our network. Individuals with life-changing stressors and anxiety related to the coronavirus will have the cost for up to five (5) individual sessions defrayed on a first come, first serve basis until all funds are committed or exhausted.
An initiative launched by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and NIMHD to raise awareness of the mental health challenges associated with depression and stress that affect Black men and families. Website offers an online toolkit that provides Omega Psi Phi Fraternity chapters with the materials needed to educate fellow fraternity brothers and community members on depression and stress in Black men.
A SAMHSA Center for Mental Health Services, Tribal Training and Technical Assistance Center program that creates models of care for American Indian and Alaska Native youth.
An affirmation movement for Black women by Black women — includes affirmations, resources, therapist connection, and events.
List of Black-owned and focused mental health resources by state as compiled by Ebony magazine.
Provides culturally sensitive self-care support and teletherapy for Black men and their families. Currently in pilot program available only to residents of MD, VA and DC. Residents of other states can join their waiting list and will be notified when Henry Health is available in their state.
Develops trauma-related treatment protocols, outreach materials, and service delivery guidelines specifically designed for American Indian and Alaska Native children and their families.
An app created by BIPOC folks for BIPOC community.
Prioritizes opportunity, action, validation, and healing for communities of color with a particular focus on Black girls and women. Includes a therapy fund to provide assistance to Black women and girls seeking therapy nationally.
Connects individuals with culturally competent clinicians committed to serving the mental health needs of Black & Latinx/Hispanic communities. Promotes the growth and healing of diverse communities through its website, online directory and events.
Explores and promotes the healing power of napping for BIPOC communities — with a focus on Black people — whose rest is challenged by the ever-present trauma in their lives.
National resource center for American Indigenous and Alaskan Indigenous communities for access to health, education, and research.
Provides information on promoting mental health and developing positive coping mechanisms through a podcast, online magazine and online discussion groups.
Contains readings on the importance of self-care, mental health care, and healing for people of color and within activist movements.
Created as a response to COVID-19 pandemic — offers free therapy services to help people cope, including group support series 4 times/week.
Organization that provides mental wellness education, resource connection and community support for Black women.
Non-profit dedicated to promoting mental health awareness throughout the global Black community.
Organization focused on supporting the mental health and emotional well-being of young people of color.
Stronghearts Native Helpline — 1–844–7NATIVE
A safe, anonymous, and confidential domestic, dating, and sexual violence helpline for American Indians and Alaska Natives, offering culturally-appropriate support and advocacy daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. CT.
Online community for Black women to seek support.
For indigenous youth: information about health, relationships, education — all things youth-centered. Also offers various contests and grants
Self-Care for Individuals Who Are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color/Asian
American and Pacific Islander. We recognize that many mental health conditions are being triggered as a result of the coronavirus, the economic crisis and repeated racist incidents and death.
- Article on coping with anticipatory grief.
- Article on coping with traumatic stress.
- Article on Racial Battle Fatigue.
Understanding and Addressing Social Determinants of Health that Impact Mental Health
- Article on improving the health of Black Americans and the overdue opportunity for social justice.
- Video on understanding the social determinants of health and toxic stress.
- Video on the social determinants of toxic stress, specifically race and ethnic toxic stress.
- APA Stress & Trauma Toolkit for treating Black Americans in a changing political and social environment.
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Page on Achieving Health Equity– Information about why health equity matters and what you can do to help give everyone a fair shot at being as healthy as they can be.
- American Public Health Association webinar series on advancing racial equity.
Ways to Take Action as an Ally or Champion for Community Members Who Are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color/Asian American and Pacific Islander
- Article on being a white ally through word, actions and power.
- Article on being a white ally for racial justice.
- Community based organizations to partner with: Color of Change, Black Lives Matter, Change Zero, The Innocent Project.
Understanding the Context of Racial Inequality that Impacts Mental Health
- APA Best Practiceson working with Black patients.
- APA Mental Health Facts for Black Americans (2017).
BIPOC/AAPI Mental Health Resources Page content partially adapted from NAMI National.
- CRISIS LINES
- NATIONWIDE RESOURCES
- FACT SHEETS
- LGBTQ+ Mental Health Resources
- Recovery From Mental Illness
- SAFE MESSAGING
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information & Resources
- BIPOC/AAPI Mental Health Resources
Black-led resources for mental health
- The Nap Ministry
- Liberate meditation app (by and for Black, Indigenous and People of Color)
- Black Girl in Om
- Shine (has a black lives matter meditation)
- The Underbelly Yoga
- Beronda Montgomery (mentoring, leadership)
- Women’s Health in Women’s Hands http://www.whiwh.com/
- The Black Health Alliance http://blackhealthalliance.ca/
- A list of Mental Health Resources Available for People of Color https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/06/9849013/mental-health-services-black-people-of-color
- Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective https://www.beam.community/
- Black Virtual Therapist Network https://www.beam.community/bvtn
- Project Lets Race and Mental Health https://projectlets.org/race-and-mental-health
- 12 Black Mental Health and Wellness Resources to Follow on Instagram https://www.vogue.com/article/black-mental-health-wellness-instagram-accounts
- Grief is a Direct Impact of Racism: 8 ways to support yourself https://theconversation.com/grief-is-a-direct-impact-of-racism-eight-ways-to-support-yourself-91750
- Raising Hope: Parenting in an anti-Black environment https://theconversation.com/raising-hope-parenting-in-an-anti-black-environment-87070
- Therapy for black men https://therapyforblackmen.org/
- Association of Black Psychologists http://www.abpsi.org/
- Therapy for Black Girls https://therapyforblackgirls.com/
- Legacy of Trauma: Context of the African American Existence
- Lumos Transfomos https://lumostransforms.com/
- Therapy Resources for People of Color https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dWShg0TZ7nJz5YJsCa1DyGCGTJMrUEd8du5vC6boVhs/mobilebasic
Free emotional well being resources
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Mindfulness Resources, The Center for Mindful Living: mindfullivingla.org
- Guided Meditations in English & Spanish: uclahealth.org/marc/mindful-meditations
- Breathing and Mindfulness Phone Apps: Breathe, Calm, Headspace.
- Online Yoga, All Levels: doyogawithme.com
- Crisis Text Line: free 24/7 text-based crisis intervention: text HOME to 741741 https://www.crisistextline.org/
Mindfulness & Guided Meditation
- AfroFlow Yoga: https://www.afroflowyoga.com/
- The Center for Mindful Living- inspiring videos, free mindfulness teachings, and guided meditation: mindfullivingla.org
- Meditations led by Tara Brach, PhD- Guided meditations in various categories, such as basic meditations, heart meditations, open awareness, difficult times, and a guided meditation for times of pandemic: tarabrach/guided-meditations/
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center- free guided meditations in English & in Spanish: uclahealth.org/marc/mindful-meditations
- UCSD Center for Mindfulness- mindfulness videos, mindful poetry, guided audio & video mindfulness practice: medschool.ucsd.edu/som/fmph/research/mindfulness/mindfulness-resources/Pages/default.aspx
- Bilingual Center for Mindfulness- Spanish language information of mindfulness and guided meditations: bilingualmindfulness.com/es/
- Mindful Heart Center- Japanese speaking mindfulness community resources: mindfulheartcenter.com/meditation